As women age, their skin naturally loses some of the vitamins and other components that gives their skin a natural, young look. When these items age, so does the skin, and that is when wrinkles begin to form. With every women facing this problem, the beauty aisles are filled with anti-aging products and every woman is looking for the secret to looking young.
As a redhead beauty expert, many of the women I talk with are concerned that their fair, sensitive redhead skin will age quicker than other women's, and some of the women who have spent years in the sun are wishing they could take back the many days they spent outdoors. I always recommend natural products to combat aging, and after researching the topic of aging and speaking with many experts, I discovered the scientific backing behind the "magic," so to speak, of antioxidants.
Antioxidants are substances that protect cells from the process of aging through donating an extra electron to oxygen, giving it the amount it needs. This allows the body to not attack the vital skin structures that keep aging at bay. It is necessary to do what we can to slow doing the aging process and put the goodness of minerals and vitamins back into our skin.
Here are the best ways to stay young with the use of antioxidants:
1. Skin Creams: Just like you do at the grocery store, check the ingredients for Vitamin E, Vitamin C and Coenzyme Q10. Many women have said to feel improvement in their elasticity and texture. It is very important to note that antioxidants prevent wrinkles, they do not treat wrinkles. If a brand is implying that its antioxidant cream improves wrinkles, it is because of the moisturizing effects and not the antioxidants.
2. Supplements: There are tons of antioxidant supplements on the market. I always look for ones with lycopene, vitamin C, pomegranate extract and grape seed extract, because they are all very high in antioxidants.
3. Diet: I am a huge fan of a diet high in antioxidants because it is always a healthy balance that is good for energy levels and for you skin. Aim for foods like fish, fruit and vegetables.
4. Vitamins: Looks for Vitamin C, E, lycopene, lutein, pomegranate extract and grape seed extract.
5. Green Tea: I put green tea in its own category because it has been proven to prevent aging because of its high dose of antioxidants. Scientific studies say that you should have between 4-9 cups a day, but for women who are just starting to drink it, 1-2 is just fine.
Next time you're in a beauty aisle or at the grocery store, keep in mind the items that are high in antioxidants and watch the anti-aging process begin.
Keep beautifully red and rock it like a redhead!