St. Louis Politician Arrested Amid Ferguson Protests

WASHINGTON -- A St. Louis official who has been a prominent presence at the protests in Ferguson, Missouri, was arrested Wednesday night, according to his wife.

Antonio French, an alderman in St. Louis, has been tweeting nonstop about events unfolding in Ferguson after a police officer shot and killed Michael Brown, an unarmed African-American teenager, last Saturday. Members of the city's African-American community have protested the shooting.

French has been critical of the police response to the protests -- which has included officers firing tear gas and wooden bullets at crowds -- telling MSNBC host Chris Hayes recently, "There is no trust between the Ferguson police department and the community at this point."

Late Wednesday night, French's wife tweeted that her husband had been arrested by the Ferguson Police Department:

She then continued to tweet that he was being detained.

The Huffington Post called the Ferguson County Police Department and spoke with an official named "Julie." She would not give her last name, and said she could neither confirm nor deny that French was arrested.

When asked where confirmation could be obtained, Julie replied, "You'll get it on the web, I guess. We're very busy."

About an hour later, French's wife tweeted again that he was now being booked:

KMOX in St. Louis noted that there was a crowd at the police station awaiting his release as well.

News of French's arrest came shortly after two reporters, Ryan Reilly of The Huffington Post and Wesley Lowery of The Washington Post, were assaulted and arrested after SWAT officers clearing a McDonald's ordered them to leave the restaurant and then said they did not do so quickly enough.

"They essentially acted as a military force. It was incredible," Reilly said in an MSNBC interview after his release. "The worst part was he slammed my head against the glass purposefully on the way out of McDonald's and then sarcastically apologized for it."

French's activity at the protests has contrasted greatly with the lack of involvement by Missouri's state and federal leaders. As the police response to protesters intensified Wednesday, Gov. Jay Nixon (D) did not initially release a comment. After significant public outcry, he said late Wednesday he would cancel his appearance at the state fair Thursday.

"Gov. Nixon first commented publicly on the situation on Ferguson on Monday morning when he requested the DOJ investigation, has been in frequent communication since that time with local and community leaders, and spoke to a standing room-only crowd on Tuesday night at a church in North St. Louis County," Nixon spokesman Scott Holste told HuffPost Thursday.

The police have refused to release the name of the officer who shot Brown, saying they fear for his safety.

Clarification: This article was updated to reflect that while Nixon did not immediately respond to Wednesday's protests, he first commented on the situation in Ferguson more broadly on Monday. It was also updated to include comment from Nixon's spokesman.

Want more updates from Amanda? Sign up for her newsletter, Piping Hot Truth.



08/26/2014 7:49 AM EDT

The Toll On Michael Brown's Family

USA Today's Yamiche Alcindor provides an intimate look at how Michael Brown's parents have been dealing with the loss of their son:

Phones constantly ring with reporters asking for interviews or family members offering support. Last week, as demands reached a tipping point, both parents moved into hotels to shield themselves.

In the days leading up to the funeral, Brown's mother continued to cry and spoke in whispers as she tried to explain her feelings.

"They say tomorrow is going to be the hardest day, but I think today was — just seeing my baby laying there, cold," Lesley McSpadden, 34, told USA TODAY. "It did something to my heart. It's too much. It's too much."

Read the rest at USA Today.

08/26/2014 7:44 AM EDT

New Audio Allegedly Captures Moment Michael Brown Was Shot

New audio has surfaced that allegedly captures the moment when Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager, was shot dead by Darren Wilson, a white police officer, on Aug. 9.

CNN aired the unverified recording on Monday night. Six shots can be heard, followed by a pause, then several more. A private autopsy performed on Aug. 17 at the request of Brown's family found that the 18-year-old was shot 6 times, including twice in the head.

Read the rest here.

08/25/2014 12:58 PM EDT

Al Sharpton: America, It's Time To Deal With Policing

08/25/2014 12:53 PM EDT

Al Sharpton: All Of Us Are Required To Respond

08/25/2014 12:48 PM EDT

Benjamin Crump: We Will Not Accept Three-Fifths Justice For Michael Brown

08/25/2014 12:28 PM EDT

Funeral Program Includes Tribute From Michael Brown's Parents

USA Today reporter, Yamiche Alcindor shares photo of program which includes tributes to Michael Brown from his mother and father

08/25/2014 12:22 PM EDT

Michael Brown's Stepmother: He Prophesied His Own Death

08/25/2014 12:16 PM EDT

Michael Brown Had Been Dreaming About Death

08/25/2014 11:57 AM EDT

Program For The Funeral

08/25/2014 11:14 AM EDT

Public Still Trying To Get Inside Church