Having studied the power and dynamics of thought for the majority of my life, I have learned to read thoughts through three sets of "tells" or cues. With a shift in your focus you will be able to do the same. Now you'll have the power to see and feel the truth.
In order to lie, a person has to have a conscious thought. This conscious thought immediately sets off three simultaneous reactions. They are:
Learning the physical reactions to the thoughts of others is the easiest when you know the different "tells." Being fully aware of another person's reactions will only be accomplished when you set aside your emotions and your preconceived notions. Although many people can mask physical reactions, some signals will still get through.
Here is a list of 10 possible, physical reactions of someone NOT telling the truth after being asked a direct question.
(Please note: Be careful to NOT take these reactions out of context; reading body language is NOT an exact science.)
1. He or she looks up to their right and or touches the right side of their head or neck. They are creating the answer. High probability of NOT telling the truth.
2. Looks up to their left and or touches the left side of their head or neck. They're searching their memory. High probability of telling the truth.
3. Crosses their arms before they answers. This indicates defensive posture. They're NOT pleased with the question. High probability of stall tactics forthcoming.
4. Answers the question with initial high-pitched voice. Most children give this one away. They're caught!
5. Answers with a cracked voice. They're caught!
6. Touches or rubs their nose just before or while answering. Not good! High probability of NOT telling the truth.
7. Looks down from your gaze. They are in defensive submission.
8. Reverses the question. Classic defense that is used to buy time. High probability that you will not get a straight answer. Omission of detail usually comes next.
9. Changes the subject. This is a common defensive maneuver. Most let them off the hook. You decide.
10. Grabs or clears their throat before or during answer. They feel very threatened. Not a good sign!
A. In front of other men or women a married person touches or fidgets with their wedding ring. This indicator says there is HIGH probability they're having thoughts that they would NOT want their "significant other" to know.
B. Intuition, which arrives as a gut feeling, is real time information that you're conscious mind does not possess. It usually whispers to you and only once. Your intuition accuracy is uncanny. Act on it.
Listen to your intuition!
If you want to turn someone into an honest person, start with yourself. Be honest with them. Tell them how you feel, not just what you think. When they ask you if you're ready, instead of saying, "In a minute," tell them the truth that it's going to be more like 20 minutes. When people can lie on the little things, it's a short hop away to the big things.
The next time when the phone rings and you're in the shower, don't holler, "Tell them I've left. I'm on my way, I'll be there shortly." When your Mother calls and your significant other answers the phone don't mouth the words, "Tell her I'm not here." You've let your spouse know that lying is okay when it's convenient. Make the importance of honesty very clear. Brandish honesty and its deeds on a regular basis. Lying is lying. Honesty is honesty.
All of my clients have been trained in my S.C.O.R.E. Success System. It is a thought management system for honest communication with yourself and others. This includes being a great friend, spouse, son or daughter, sibling and yes... a best friend to YOU. Honesty must blanket all of your life arenas.
Get in the honesty Zone!