Tis the season of eggnog, good food, delightful company and lots of joy. With so much fun in one sentence, how can one manage to keep their weight under control? The holidays are an exciting time of year for so many reasons. Whether we choose to believe it or not, most of us over-indulge in the month of December. This year, set yourself up for success and avoid holiday weight gain.
Here are 20 of my favorite tips that can help you keep the pounds off during the holidays.
20 Ways to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
1. Eat a little before you go out
2. Focus on protein when you are building your plate
3. Eat slowly (or slower than normal) and take time to chew your food
4. Drink a glass of water before every meal
5. Eat on a smaller plate
6. Double up on the vegetables
7. Avoid sugary foods (if you can)
8. Wait 20 minutes before going for a second serving
9. Save some for the next day; you don't need to eat it all at once
10. Take it easy on the booze
11. Weigh yourself every week (will keep you aware)
12. Exercise in the morning (every day)
13. Relax; don't get too excited by the buffet (it's just like any other meal)
14. Focus on the company, not on the food
15. Politely, say no when it comes to certain sweets
16. Keep a log of your food (will also help keep you aware)
17. Challenge a friend to maintain your weight during the holidays
18. Bring your own (healthy) dish to a party
19. Start with soup or salad
20. Don't stress it if you over do it! Enjoy the season, but do so moderately
Let's enjoy this time of the year with our friends and take care of our bodies this holiday season.
If you do manage to put on a few pounds, don't worry about it. I'll help you take care of that!
Share this article and let's help prevent weight gain this holiday season!