An unidentified person tried to steal the British street artist’s “Game Changer” piece from Southampton General Hospital in the early hours of May 8, the University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust told HuffPost on Wednesday.
Banksy “gifted” the piece to the National Health Service and it is “temporarily on display in the hospital,” the trust said.
Security guards spotted the person, dressed in a protective suit and carrying a cordless drill, repeatedly walking past and hovering around the painting, reported The Sun newspaper.
The suspicious person was “removed” from the hospital, a source said.
“No harm occurred to either persons, the painting, or hospital property,” the trust said.
The value of the painting, which is set to be sold at auction in the fall to support health care charities, is unknown. However, some of Banksy’s paintings have in recent years sold for millions of dollars at auction.
The elusive artist’s publicist did not respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.