Bates Family Home Was Meth Lab: John, Jessie, Tyler Bates' Chronic Sickness Explained

If you think getting previous tenants' mail is annoying, just try dealing with their meth lab.

John and Jessie Bates and their 7-year-old son, Tyler, began experiencing mysterious health problems months after after moving into a new home in Suquamish, Washington in March 2007. Tyler was having trouble breathing, Jessie developed a bizarre rash, and John was "perpetually sick," according to My Fox Phoenix.

Though a standard inspection found no problems, the family suspected the house itself was the culprit. A year and a half later, a neighbor revealed the home's sordid secret: the previous occupant had used it as a meth lab.

Even more certain that the building was behind their ailments, the Bates began ripping up the floors and walls. They found "iodine-like staining on the walls and human feces under the floor," Jessie told Fox News.

The couple, who just recently came forward to speak about their experience, contracted an environmental clean-up company to assess the situation, KPQC reports. The company found that the home was saturated with several dangerous chemicals, including sulfuric acid. Total clean-up and repair costs were estimated at $90,000, according to the New York Daily News.

John and Jessie were "furious that someone knew and didn't tell us." When the couple purchased the home, Washington state had no meth-lab disclosure laws, though regulations now require home sellers to inform potential buyers if a property was used to produce illegal drugs.

The Bates opted to tear down the house and rebuild altogether at a cost of $184,000. Now, over two years after rebuilding, the family is healthy, but they say they will recovering financially for the next 20 years.

testPromoTitleReplace testPromoDekReplace Join HuffPost Today! No thanks.