Okay...we've fallen victim to tech-mania! As self-proclaimed craftsters, we love taking a step back from the modern world to create something tangible with our own two hands. However, we're not afraid to admit that technology has its own benefits, not the least of which are smart phone apps. But, with so many to choose from, finding the right app for you can be hard. So, we've narrowed it down to 21 best apps to keep you both design-inspired and DIY-ready.
Designing And Inspiration
1. HGTV to GO -- Stay up-to-date with your favorite HGTV shows with this app that contains full episodes, short videos and photo galleries of inspiring and also do-able ideas. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free).
2. Dream Home -- This app contains beautiful high quality photos of fantastic interior designs to keep you inspired. There is no internet required (other than for updates), they add more photos on a weekly basis and the slideshow navigation is very easy. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($0.99) and Android ($1.99).
3. Houzz Interior Design Ideas -- With over 200,000 high quality interior design images, Houzz is a one-stop shop for inspiration. With this app you have full access to their photo libraries and can save images to virtual idea books. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free).
4. iHome HD -- A wide array of stunning interiors to instantly inspire you. Available for iPad (Free preview or full version for added cost).
1. HGTV Color Guide -- Get tips from the pro's with this app that not only provides wonderfully color inspiration and guidelines from HGTV stars, but includes 5 interactive and informative color articles. Available for iPad (Free).
2. Palettes -- This app is perfect for both creating and maintaining color palettes because you can grab color schemes from photographs or websites, can manually add colors using different color models and can store as many palettes as you want. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free to $5.99 depending on level).
3. Benjamin Moore Color Capture -- Feeling suddenly inspired by the scene in front of you? Snap a photo with this app and it will automatically create a palette from a selection of Benjamin Moore paints. You can then save the search and add notes. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free) and Android (Free).
4. Sherwin-Williams ColorSnap -- Snap a photograph and instantly get matching Sherwin-Williams paint recommendations. You can store and share what you find. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free) and Android (Free).
1. The Home Depot -- As any DIY-er knows, finding supplies can be a hassle. With this app, you can research and purchase your tools, can search the store inventory to see what is in stock, can scan barcodes while in the store and you'll have access to hundreds of Home Depot DIY videos/how-tos. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (Free) and Android (Free).
3. Handy Man DIY -- You'll never have to do math again with this app! Just input/store room measurements and the app will calculate how much paint, flooring or trim you need for a project. You can also watch useful and detailed how-to videos for a wide array of projects. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($1.99).
4. inchCALC -- Never convert measurements to decimals again. With this calculator you can input dimensions in centimeters or inches in fraction form, and you can even input things in squared form. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($1.99).
5. Space Planning Tool -- We've all been there, you buy a couch and think it will fit, only to realize it is too large. With this app, that will never happen again! You can input room dimensions and create floor plans, make shopping lists, input fabrics/colors/finishes, and more. Available for iPhone/iPod Touch ($1.99) and a different version called 'Mark on Call' is available for the iPad.
6. Photo Measures -- Take a photo of an object or room and write the measurements directly over it, thereby keeping all your measurements in one mobile place and removing the need for elaborate sketches. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($4.99).
1. Fabric U -- This is a great app for the beginner seamstress. Not only does it provide valuable information about 120 well-known fabrics, but it also contains links to videos about which fabrics are best suited for different projects. Available for iPhone/iPad ($2.99).
2. Yardage Calc -- Yardage Calc will estimate the yardage needed when the width of a fabric is not listed, will convert yards to meters and visa versa. A great tool for the frequent fabric shopper. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($2.99).
3. Fabric Stash -- Take a photo of your fabric purchases and stash them in this mobile inventory. You can write any details that you want down, including make or yardage in stock, and can organize by color, style, project, etc. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($4.99).
4. Sewing Guide -- Perfect for the beginner or a seasoned sewer who might need a reminder, this app contains a well of information about the basics and not-so-basics of sewing, from how to assemble a kit to adding a zipper or creating a slipcover. Available for Android ($1.37 right now, but normally $12.99).
5. Dress Making -- This beginner's guide divulges all the secrets to sewing beautiful dresses. If you're used to sewing pillows and want to try something a little more difficult, this app is perfect for you. Available for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch ($0.99).