Now that the weather is finally starting to warm up and we're coming out of hibernation, it's a great time to head out into the real world and look for the quality men you want to meet as a woman over 50.
Here are 15 spots that are great bets for finding available men near you, plus what to say to strike up a conversation once you see an interesting man.
1. Wine shops that have classes and tastings. These are easy to do alone. Just be careful driving home, of course. Ask the man next to you which wine has been his favorite so far.
2. Dog parks. Borrow a dog from a friend if you have to. Dog people are really friendly! Ask for a vet recommendation or compliment his pup.
3. As you travel to work on public transportation, look up from your book and check out who might be a potential suitor. Smile at him and ask him what time it is.
4. Restaurants. Go out with a girlfriend and ask the man at the table next to you what he's eating that looks so good. Sitting at the bar is a great way to do this, even if you're alone!
5. Whole Foods or your local grocery store. Men have to eat and unless their mom still cooks for them, they have to buy food around dinnertime. Get his recommendation on which fish or vegetable to buy. A bonus... maybe you'll find one who will cook for you, too!
6. Singles cruises and resorts. Yes, men do travel alone. Ask him if he's there for work or pleasure. I know a woman traveling alone who met a wonderful guy at a resort. Just be sure to check out the average age of visitors to the area so you aren't stuck with spring break kids. Or choose cruise lines that are geared to people over 50 like Princess and Holland America.
7. Starbucks or your favorite local coffee shop. Strike up a conversation about how long the line is or how long a winter it has been.
8. Meetup.com has all kinds of local activities going on every day. Here you can meet men interested in the same types of activities you like to do, so start a conversation about the sport or hobby you've met up to do.
9. Your hair salon. You might laugh at this, but men come in for haircuts and even manicures! I can't tell you the number of times I've sat next to a man getting a pedicure minus the colorful polish. Tell him he's brave for coming there.
10. Hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowe's, especially on the weekend. Men have to go somewhere to buy the materials they need for fixing things in their lives. This is the perfect time to ask them for help picking out the tool for your project around the house.
11. Wine festivals or outdoor events. With live music playing, the sun setting, and glasses clinking, ask the man next to you which winery he recommends.
12. Upscale casinos are popping up everywhere and men do love gambling. Hang out near the roulette table and be his lucky charm. If the casino is attached to a hotel, sit at the bar with a friend and start talking with men who come in for a drink or dinner. Or play into his DNA of helping a damsel in distress by asking him for gambling tips.
13. Major or minor league sporting events. Whew, you can just feel the testosterone in those stadiums! Standing in line at the gourmet food vendors most stadiums have now is a good time to strike up a conversation about the game or the food.
14. Places that have live music on the weekends. Men will often go have a drink at the bar while listening to the group that is playing. Best music bets are jazz, blues and good ole' rock and roll. Ask him if he goes to the band's shows often.
15. The very best place to meet men is at an online dating site. Men are there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's like college was. Remember when everyone was single and available back then? Today, everyone's just older. Send interesting men winks or favor them and see what happens!
Now it's your turn. Start writing a list of places in your area to meet men and a few things to say to start the conversation flowing. I think once you focus on it, you'll find available men are everywhere.
Lisa Copeland is known as the expert on over 50's dating. Her mission is to help as many women around the world as she can discover how to have fun dating and finding their Mr. Right after 50. To get your free report, "5 Little Known Secrets To Find A Quality Man," visit www.findaqualityman.com.