As per the US Department of Health and Human Services, it has been recommended that everybody needs at least 150 minutes of moderate-intense workout every week. One of the most popular options is walking as it is easily accessible, cheap and also offers a good workout for your muscles and also doesn't need any special skill. If you're not able to walk outdoors for some specific reason or for bad weather conditions, treadmill walking can also help you experience the same health benefits that you get from outdoor walking. In fact, it has got some added practical and physical benefits as well. There are many advantages of practicing regular exercise, including a noteworthy increase in the heart's strength, decrease in insulin resistance, weight loss and many other things.
Running or walking on a treadmill is indeed a great exercise and it exerts less stress on the entire body than running or walking on a flat outdoor surface. You also get the option of monitoring your heart rate and your blood pressure and this is a useful way of taking care of your body, especially for patients with poor heart conditions. Through this information, the patient is able to determine how much exercise they can do and when they should stop. If you have been thinking of buying a treadmill for your home gym but you are not sure about the benefits that you may get, you can go through the concerns of this post to know more on treadmills.
Running on treadmills and the heart benefits to reap
Treadmills are extremely useful, especially with regards to diagnosis of heart disease, cardiac issues and coronary artery blockages. The human body doesn't always show any symptoms of heart disease or blockage until it is put under huge stress. Running or brisk walking on a treadmill is a very effective way of putting your body under stress while being able to closely monitor your vital signs of the body. Usually, it is seen that treadmill tests are performed on patients who aren't presently experiencing heart issues but they have certain problems like high cholesterol.
As per researchers from Johns Hopkins Medicine, it has been found out that women and men who have inconclusive treadmill test results are more likely to die due to different kinds of heart diseases than people whose tests are pretty normal. Although it is possible for the treadmill stress tests to give you results which are false, but people should always follow up this test with certain other tests like:
- Cardiac Catheterization: This test includes the insertion of a catheter within a specific chamber or the artery of your heart to ensure whether or not there's any blockage or possibility of some other severe disease.
- Echo Stress test: This is also an exercise stress test which uses an echocardiogram to measure the functioning of your heart.
- Nuclear Stress Test: This test uses a radioactive solution, though a tiny dose, to evaluate the function of the heart and the rate of blood flow to the heart.
Weight loss and treadmill
Majority of the people who are suffering from heart diseases are either already obese or are constantly gaining weight. Treadmill exercises help you lose weight and keep your body fit. Check out how.
- Treadmills tend to mimic a movement or exercise which is familiar and comfortable.
- You don't need an excuse to avoid running. Most often, outdoor running is not possible for different reasons like bad weather, pollution or streets that are poorly lit. This is when you can seek help of the treadmill and continue with indoor walking in order to reap the desired benefits.
- There is lot of security and safety with running on treadmills. Women often don't feel secure enough to run outdoor alone, especially in the dark. They get an option to take care of their health due to treadmills.
- The treadmills have a degree of shock absorption and also lessen the impact of running. Hence, treadmills might reduce stress and strain on joints, especially the lower back, the knees and ankles.
- Running on treadmills increases your endurance to diseases and ensures cardiovascular fitness and also helps you accelerate the process of weight loss.
- If you're a multi-tasker, you can keep running on a treadmill while watching TV, drinking a glass of juice and do many other things together at a time.
- Treadmills calculate step counts, heart rates and the calories that you've burned.
Therefore, if you're still wondering about the benefits of treadmills, you need to take into account the above mentioned points. Although treadmills are pretty costly, yet it's worthy enough to get it for your health. Keep tracking the calories that you burn so that you get immediate results.