Sam Mendes will return for the next James Bond film. Sony has confirmed that Mendes has agreed to direct the untitled 007 feature (called "Bond 24" at the moment), which the studio will release on Nov. 6, 2015. (The U.K. release will happen on Oct. 23, 2015.) Daniel Craig will once again play the famed British agent.
Mendes' official participation in the next Bond film ends months of speculation regarding his status. Back in March, Mendes -- who directed last year's James Bond film, "Skyfall" -- said he was finished with the franchise.
"It has been a very difficult decision not to accept [producers] Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli's very generous offer to direct the next Bond movie," Mendes said. "Directing 'Skyfall' was one of the best experiences of my professional life, but I have theatre and other commitments, including productions of 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' and 'King Lear,' that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond."
One month later, in an interview with The Guardian, Mendes elaborated on why he passed on Bond 24. "Was I willing to go straight back into a room with a writer and start work on the same set of characters and the same scenarios as I've been working on for the last three years? No. The idea made me feel physically ill," he said.
In a press release accompanying the announcement, Mendes credited the Bond producers with giving him time to make the decision.
"I very much look forward to taking up the reins again, and to working with Daniel Craig, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli for a second time," Mendes said.
For the full press release, head to Deadline.com.