BOSTON -- False hope that a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings had been arrested dominated news reports for much of Wednesday, two days after explosions rocked the elite road race, killing three people and injuring more than 170.
"We have not officially named anyone and we don't know where they're getting that information," an FBI spokeswoman told HuffPost.
The confusion came amid reports that investigators are on the hunt for a man seen in a department-store surveillance video dropping off a bag at the site of the bombings.
CLICK HERE for live updates
Confusion ruled the afternoon in other ways. Media and spectators descended on the federal courthouse, hoping to catch a glimpse of the mythical suspect. But soon after the crowds showed up, a bomb scare at the John Joseph Moakley Federal Courthouse sent them scurrying.
The appropriate opportunity to sort out some of the wild and unverified information would have been at an evening press conference with the FBI, but it was postponed.
Still, there were signs of physical and emotional healing.
Massachusetts General Hospital released another patient wounded in the attack, leaving 11 still hospitalized there. All are expected to survive, according to hospital spokeswoman Katie Marquedant. The Associated Press reported similar progress at other area hospitals as dozens more of the wounded were released.
The blocked section of Boylston continued to attract visitors, who left a growing pile of flowers at a makeshift shrine.
Individual efforts to help the victims in other ways popped up, too. The popular Mei Mei food truck, a few blocks from the bomb site, donated all profits from its Chinese American meals to Children's Hospital Boston on behalf of Martin Richard, the 8-year-old killed on Monday.
"We're in the business of feeding and comforting people," said truck co-owner Irene Li. "It's so sad when a child is a victim. ... This was supposed to be a family event."