Authorities Fatally Shoot Man Under Terrorism Task Force Surveillance In Boston

A man who had been under surveillance by the FBI and Joint Terrorism Task Force was fatally shot by authorities in Boston on Tuesday morning.

Police identified the man as 26-year-old Usaama Rahim of Boston.

UPDATE: Police have reportedly arrested another man in connection to the terror investigation involving Rahim. The second suspect wasn't immediately identified, and it wasn't clear whether he'd face charges, according to NBC News.


An FBI agent and a Boston police officer approached Rahim near a CVS store around 7 a.m., and say he responded by whipping out a large military-style knife, Fox25 reports.

The officers said they ordered him to drop the knife multiple times, but he refused to do so and continued to move towards them.

Boston law enforcement acknowledged on Tuesday that Rahim had been under surveillance.

“We believed he was a threat,” Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans said at a news conference, according to The Boston Globe. “He was someone we were watching for quite a time. The level of alarm brought us to question him today. I don’t think anybody expected the reaction we got out of him.”

Both officers fired at Rahim, and he later died from his injuries at a hospital. No one else was injured in the incident, WHDH reports.

In a Facebook post, Ibrahim Rahim, Usaama's brother, provided a description of events that was drastically different from the police's account. He said his brother had been on a cell phone call with their father when he encountered three officers, and that Usaama was shot three times in the back.

Your prayers are requested:This morning while at the bus stop in Boston, my youngest brother Usaama Rahim was waiting...

Posted by Ibrahim Rahim on Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A spokesman for the Council of American-Islamic Relations spokesman confirmed with the AP that Ibrahim Rahim is Usaama Rahim's brother.

Authorities have not said why Usaama Rahim was under surveillance. However, Lt. Michael McCarthy, a spokesman for the Boston Police, told the AP that officers raided a home in Everett, Massachusetts, in connection with the case.

“It's all part of a very active Joint Terrorism Task Force investigation," McCarthy said.