Style & Beauty

Sunscreen Catches Fire: Brett Sigworth Suffers Burns From Banana Boat Spray In Freak Accident (VIDEO)

WATCH: Man Catches Fire After Applying Sunscreen

Remember when supermodel Gisele rallied against sunscreen, saying SPF was "poison"?

Turns out, she might have been right, after a Massachusetts man suffered second-degree burns when the sunscreen on his skin was set on fire by a grill.

Brett Sigworth of Stow, Mass., was grilling on his deck when his body suddenly caught on fire in a freak accident. "I've never experienced pain like that in my life," he told CBS News.

The culprit? Banana Boat spray-on aerosol sunscreen, which Sigworth had sprayed onto his skin -- and rubbed in --immediately before lighting the grill, when the flames from the grill then horrifically set his skin ablaze. His burns showed up in the precise areas where he had sprayed on the lotion.

Ten days after the incident, Sigworth is still recovering, ABC reports. He says he doesn't plan to sue.

Banana Boat addressed the incident in a statement to CBS Boston, saying: "We were concerned to hear about Brett's experience. At Banana Boat, we take these matters very seriously and will begin a prompt investigation as we continue to strive to deliver products of the highest quality to our consumers."

Sunscreen is not flammable in its usual form, but when sprayed out of an aerosol can - a la many brands of spray-on SPF protector -- particles that remain in the air can set fire.

Before You Go