Watch video recipe:
2 x slices of Italian bread (or as many as you like!)
Fresh bunch of basil leaves (washed)
Extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
Charcoal grill (or your oven)
Wooden chopping board
1. Wash the tomatoes and cut the centre out before chopping it into small pieces.
VINCENZO'S PLATE TIP:It is best to use the freshest, ripest tomatoes you can find for Classic Italian Bruschetta! You can tell how ripe tomatoes are by their softness and how much juice pours out when you slice through them...and nothing can beat these juices as they absorb into the bread and literally melt in your mouth.
2. Chop the garlic finely and add it to the bowl, then break up the basil leaves and add them in too.
3. Mix in a generous amount of oregano and super generous amount of evoo!
4. Sprinkle some salt in and mix it together well. If you are not going to make the Italian bruschetta right away, keep this bowl covered and in the fridge.
5. Toast 2 pieces of bread using a charcoal grill (if you have one as the smokiness will add a beautiful flavour to the bruschetta that you just can't beat). If you don't have a charcoal grill just use your oven.
How to serve:
1. Using a spoon, scoop out some of the tomato mix, covering the bread with it.
2. Make sure you get some of the extra tomato juice and pour it over the top.
3. The larger slices of bread can then be cut into squares (if desired) and enjoyed as an antipasto or alongside a tasty meat dish...my favourite of course is arrosticini.
4. Each slice of bruschetta can also be cut into strips and placed on a small wooden chopping board for great antipasto presentation.
5. The pièce de résistance...is a drizzle of thick balsamic glaze over the top. It will look magnificent and taste AAAAHHHHHHH-MAZING!
E ora si mangia, Vincenzo's Plate...Enjoy!
Recommended recipe to serve it with: