In an interview on Wednesday, CNN’s Jake Tapper asked Newsom if he had a message for those governors who have not taken such “strong measures” as California’s statewide shelter-in-place directive.
“My message is this: What are you waiting for? What more evidence do you need?” Newsom said about issuing a stay-at-home order, which generally instructs residents to remain at home unless they’re performing or seeking out services deemed “essential.”
“Take responsibility and meet it head-on,” he added of the COVID-19 pandemic. “You will never regret overcompensating.”
The Golden State governor noted that there was “no greater intervention, period, full stop, none, than physical distancing” to curb further spread of the coronavirus, saying that such efforts can “bend the curve, can save lives.”
As the U.S. has become the epicenter of the pandemic worldwide, more than a dozen states still have not issued statewide stay-at-home orders.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) finally issued such an order on Wednesday, to go into effect at midnight Thursday, after mounting cases in his state and pressure from state lawmakers. Florida is currently among the states with the highest number of cases, with nearly 7,000 confirmed infections and at least 87 people dead.
California, which was one of the initial states to experience a rise in coronavirus cases in March, became the first state to issue a shelter-in-place order nearly two weeks ago. In the Golden State, there have been nearly 10,000 confirmed cases and more than 200 dead so far.
“None of that could have happened soon enough,” Newsom said Wednesday of his state’s efforts to stem the spread of the virus. “And all of that has bought us time and has helped us bend the curve in this respect ― that while we see things increasing, we don’t see them increasing as fast as other parts of the country.”
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Heads up: Not all your tax deadlines have been postponed
- I just got out of a COVID-19 ICU. Here’s how I made it through.
- How to make a no-sew coronavirus face mask
- Why some people might have trouble getting their coronavirus rebates payments
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- There’s a simple game that can stop a tantrum cold
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism – and keep it free for everyone – by becoming a HuffPost member today.