- Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable known for its anti-cancer properties. It contains the antioxidant sulforaphane glucosinolate - known to reduce the risk of breast, bladder and prostate cancer; and keeps the bacteria Helicobacter pylori from becoming overgrown in the stomach.
- One cup of cooked cauliflower contains 73 percent of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C, 19 percent of the daily amount of vitamin K, 8 percent of the daily amount of manganese and 11 percent of the daily amount of choline. Choline, a B vitamin may help prevent neural tube defects during pregnancy.
- Cauliflower is high in fiber - beneficial for digestive function.
- Besides cauliflower, other cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, bok choy, arugula, radishes, turnips, collard greens, watercress and kale. All may be eaten raw or cooked.
- Cauliflower is grown during the cool months - making it one of my favorite early winter vegetables.
- Try it seasoned and mashed - like in the recipe below - for a lower-calorie version of "mashed potatoes.”
Layne’s Sweet Mashed Cauliflower
Choose Organic Ingredients When Available:
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut in bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat kefir
- 1 medium Hannah or Japanese sweet potato (cream-colored flesh), cooked, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup cooking liquid from steaming cauliflower
Steam cauliflower in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a high power blender pitcher and reserve cooking water. Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.
Nutrition facts per serving (114 grams): 84 calories, 3.8 grams fat, 158 milligrams sodium, 374 milligrams potassium, 10.6 grams carbohydrates, 2.6 grams dietary fiber, 2.8 grams protein
For more healthy recipes and the way to longevity, pick up a copy of Layne’s award winning book: Beyond The Mediterranean Diet: European Secrets Of The Super-Healthy, available on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com. This book makes the perfect holiday gift!