How much do you know about successful women in Asia? Asia is a diverse continent where women have ruled, been honored, and at times been restricted by ideology, and social structures. Several Asian countries have had female presidents. Today, women continue to successfully make their mark in growing economies, governments, and international outreach programs.
- ____ In 2016 63% of Chinese start ups had women in executive positions, outperforming the the U.S at 46% and the U.K. at 42%, for the second year in a row.
- ____ Indira Gandhi, daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru- India’s first Prime Minister, was sworn in as India’s first female Prime Minister on January 24, 1966.
- ____ Out of the total 2,989 P.H.D’s awarded in Thailand, 43% went to females.
- ____ In Indonesia, more than 80% of women entrepreneurs are opportunity-motivated, reporting higher levels of opportunity motives than their male counterparts.
- ____ In Mongolia, a new law requires political parties to have a minimum of 30 per cent women among their candidates.
- ____ India has had the longest stretch of female leadership (elected, appointed, interim, or other) over the past 50 years, with 21 years of female leadership.
- ____ Sri Lanka’s Sirimavo Bandaranaike became the world’s first female prime minister in 1980.
- ____ Based on global proportions of senior business roles held by women in senior positions, The Philippines ranked with the highest with 39% in 2016.
- ____ Names the as the 14 most powerful woman in 2016 the world PepsiCo CEO, Indra Nooyi, diversified the company’s focus, water and non-carbonated products now accounts for more than 25% of sales.
- ____ The Asia Foundation’s Lotus Circle is an organization that raises private capital to rapidly respond to threats and challenges facing women in Asia.
Answer key: 1)T 2)T 3)F 57% of all P.H.D’s went to women in 2010. 4)T 5)T 6)F – India has the longest stretch of female leadership with female leadership with 23 years 7 )F – She became Prime Minister in 1960 8)T 9)T 10)T
Sharon Schweitzer, J.D., is a cross-cultural trainer, modern manners expert, and the founder of Protocol & Etiquette Worldwide. In addition to her accreditation in intercultural management from the HOFSTEDE centre, she serves as a Chinese Ceremonial Dining Etiquette Specialist in the documentary series Confucius was a Foodie, on Nat Geo People. She is the resident etiquette expert on two popular lifestyle shows: ABC Tampa Bay’s Morning Blend and CBS Austin’s We Are Austin. She is regularly quoted by BBC Capital, Investor’s Business Daily, Fortune, and the National Business Journals. Her Amazon #1 Best Selling book in International Business, Access to Asia: Your Multicultural Business Guide, now in its third printing, was named to Kirkus Reviews’ Best Books of 2015. She’s a winner of the British Airways International Trade Award at the 2016 Greater Austin Business Awards.
How to vote
Vote-by-mail ballot request deadline: Varies by state
For the Nov 3 election: States are making it easier for citizens to vote absentee by mail this year due to the coronavirus. Each state has its own rules for mail-in absentee voting. Visit your state election office website to find out if you can vote by mail.Get more information
In-person early voting dates: Varies by state
Sometimes circumstances make it hard or impossible for you to vote on Election Day. But your state may let you vote during a designated early voting period. You don't need an excuse to vote early. Visit your state election office website to find out whether they offer early voting.My Election Office
General Election: Nov 3, 2020
Polling hours on Election Day: Varies by state/localityMy Polling Place