CRIME

Chihuahua Named Jack Sparrow Recovering After Eating Meth, Police Say

The tiny dog was found suffering from convulsions and seizures.

An adorable Chihuahua is recovering this week after vets found methamphetamine in his system, police in Fontana, California, announced Monday.

The incident led to the arrest of 21-year-old Isaiah Nathaniel Sais after the dog, named Jack Sparrow, began suffering from convulsions and seizures, according to authorities. 

Sais took his dog to an emergency veterinarian care center in Upland for treatment on July 5. It was there that the pup, who shares the name of the beloved “Pirates of the Caribbean” buccaneer, tested positive for the illicit drug after apparently eating it.

But then, Sais allegedly left with his pet. Animal services shortly after visited Sia’s home and reported finding the dog “still suffering from the effects of the drug and other signs of general neglect,” police said in a statement.

Jack Sparrow, a California Chihuahua, is on the mend after police say he ingested meth.
Jack Sparrow, a California Chihuahua, is on the mend after police say he ingested meth.

Jaime Simmons from Fontana Animal Services suggested that the dog was likely kept indoors for months.

“There was the smell of urine in his fur and his nails were over-grown,” Simmons told The Associated Press.

Jack Sparrow was consequently seized and taken back to the emergency center for continuing treatment. Sais was taken into custody Friday on suspicion of felony animal cruelty following a review by the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.

The dog, meanwhile, is recovering at Upland’s Inland Valley Veterinary Specialists & Emergency Center. Fontana’s police department shared a video of the little guy on Facebook Monday, showing him appearing “quite twitchy and quite agitated,” as the person filming describes. 

“Once he is well enough he will be transferred to a temporary foster home where he can continue to recover,” police said Monday.

Though Jack Sparrow is described as being hyper-sensitive to noise and sudden movement, he is expected to recover in time.

Dr. Jeremy Campfield, who has been treating the dog, told KTLA that intoxicated pets are unfortunately not uncommon.

“Marijuana is one that we see many cases of. Amphetamine, methamphetamine, we see alcohol intoxication. I think that people tend to not realize, especially if they’re using these substances, that their pets might eat them,” he said.

HuffPost

BEFORE YOU GO

PHOTO GALLERY
Horrors of methamphetamines