“He’s become like America’s grandpa,” Cuomo said. “He gives conscience and comfort and fact to this country, and uniquely so.”
But Fauci was absent Monday after reports surfaced that Trump wasn’t happy with him for contradicting the White House. This prompted Cuomo to warn the media against making the doctor a “foil” to the president.
“Do you know what’s more dangerous than COVID?” Cuomo asked. ”Telling the truth about Trump as a member of the executive branch. No one survives that. Why put Fauci in a position of having to admit that Trump is wrong or lying when we already know that to be the case?”
As he spoke, a graphic on the screen urged: “Don’t make Fauci fact check Trump, that’s journalists’ job.”
Cuomo also said Fauci needs to be above politics so he can lead the fight against the pandemic:
- Read our live blog for the latest updates from HuffPost reporters around the world
- The world is facing a crucial test this week in flattening the curve
- 8 things people diagnosed with coronavirus want you to know
- How to grocery shop for a quarantine
- Doctors answer the most common coronavirus questions
- Health care workers are struggling with a shortage of protective gear
- 27 comfort shows to watch while self-isolating
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- 10 ways to practice solidarity while social distancing
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.