“This virus creates emotional illness and creates psychological illness,” he told CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta. “It is in my head, not just figuratively, in terms of messing with you because you’re sick for a long time.”
Gupta said it’s causing depression, brain fog and edginess in patients who have the coronavirus infection.
“I am experiencing that,” Cuomo said. “It messes with your head, this virus, and I don’t know where it leads you afterwards.”
Cuomo also said he’s still battling a low-grade fever, which he finds “maddening,” but he said his breathing is getting stronger.
But he said he’s not there yet ― and considers himself to be a metaphor for the country as a whole right now.
“I’m ready to get out of the basement. I’m sick of being sick. I’ve had it, I want to get back to work,” he said. “But I’m not ready. And I don’t have a plan to be ready.”
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Can someone outside of your household quarantine with you now?
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus and grief
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
How to vote
Vote-by-mail ballot request deadline: Varies by state
For the Nov 3 election: States are making it easier for citizens to vote absentee by mail this year due to the coronavirus. Each state has its own rules for mail-in absentee voting. Visit your state election office website to find out if you can vote by mail.Get more informationTrack ballot status
In-person early voting dates: Varies by state
Sometimes circumstances make it hard or impossible for you to vote on Election Day. But your state may let you vote during a designated early voting period. You don't need an excuse to vote early. Visit your state election office website to find out whether they offer early voting.My Election Office
General Election: Nov 3, 2020
Polling hours on Election Day: Varies by state/localityMy Polling Place