Chris Hayes on Thursday hammered President Donald Trump for his administration’s disastrous handling of the coronavirus pandemic, slamming the president for turning the U.S. into a global embarrassment.
The MSNBC host noted how “the fundamental conceit” of Trump’s 2016 campaign message was that America is “falling behind” and “the laughingstock of the world” and he was the only person who could “restore us to preeminence, to our rightful place.”
The core of Trump’s “Make America Great Again” slogan was and remains “a con,” said Hayes, who claimed Trump’s then depiction of America as “an utter shambles” was “a ridiculous premise” and “the ultimate act of projection, indeed of prediction.”
Hayes later focused on the Trump White House’s widely criticized handling of the public health crisis — and the president’s ongoing refusal to listen to public health experts ― that has now killed more than 185,000 people nationwide.
Other countries are still fighting smaller-scale outbreaks of COVID-19, but few are facing anything remotely approaching the scale of the crisis in the U.S., Hayes noted.
“Most of these countries have basically beaten the virus. But not here. In the United States, our leadership failed. Donald Trump failed,” said Hayes.
Check out the full clip above.
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- How can you manage your anxiety as coronavirus restrictions lift?
- Here’s the latest on how long COVID-19 antibodies last.
- How will COVID-19 change your office?
- Laid off and lost your health insurance? You have options.
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- Find all our coronavirus coverage here.