Several million years ago, it is hypothesized, the first Stone Age human caught the first cold. Ever since then, doctors, nurses, herbalists, shaman and healers of every sort have been confounded by colds and flu. Over the years, these devilish pathogens have been treated with cold baths, wet feet, chili peppers, tobacco, and the application of blood-sucking leeches.
Now we understand that colds and flu are caused by viruses -- but we're still no closer to a cure. The only defense is a good offense. But who says it has to be a drag?
Besides eating right, washing your hands regularly and getting enough sleep, you can maximize your pathogen-fighting potential with a handful of entertaining activities.
For more by Lisa Turner, click here.
For more on personal health, click here.
1. Ibs, K. H.; Rink, L.; (2003). "Zinc-altered immune function." Journal of Nutrition 133 (5 Suppl 1): 1452S.
2. Rink, L.; Gabriel P. (2000). "Zinc and the immune system." Proc Nutr Soc 59 (4): 541.
3. Bennett MP, Lengacher C. "Humor and Laughter May Influence Health IV. Humor and Immune Function." Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009 Jun;6(2):159-64. Epub 2007 Dec 5.
4. Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Pyne DB, Nieman DC, Dhabhar FS, Shephard RJ, Oliver SJ, Bermon S, Kajeniene A. "Position statement. Part Two: Maintaining Immune Health." Exerc Immunol Rev. 2011;17:64-103.
5. Hogan BE, Linden W, Najarian B. "Social Support Interventions: Do They Work?" Clin Psychol Rev. 2002 Apr;22(3):383-442.
6. Field T. "Tai Chi research review." Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2011 Aug;17(3):141-6. Epub 2010 Oct 24.
7. Jahnke R, Larkey L, Rogers C, Etnier J, Lin F. "A Comprehensive Review of Health Benefits of Qigong and Tai Chi." Am J Health Promot. 2010 Jul-Aug;24(6):e1-e25.
8. Yang Y, Verkuilen J, Rosengren KS, Mariani RA, Reed M, Grubisich SA, Woods JA, Schlagal B. "Effects of a traditional Taiji/Qigong curriculum on older adults' immune response to influenza vaccine." Med Sport Sci. 2008;52:64-76.
9. Sanmartín C, Plano D, Font M, Palop JA. "Selenium and Clinical Trials: New Therapeutic Evidence for Multiple Diseases." Curr Med Chem. 2011 Aug 25. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Barrett B, Hayney MS, Muller D, Rakel D, Ward A, Obasi CN, Brown R, Zhang Z, Zgierska A, Gern J, West R, Ewers T, Barlow S, Gassman M, Coe CL. "Meditation or exercise for preventing acute respiratory infection: a randomized controlled trial." Ann Fam Med. 2012 Jul-Aug;10(4):337-46.
11. Swanson D, Block R, Mousa SA. "Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA: health benefits throughout life." Adv Nutr. 2012 Jan;3(1):1-7. Epub 2012 Jan 5. Review.
12. Chang JS, Wang KC, Yeh CF, Shieh DE, Chiang LC. "Fresh ginger (Zingiber officinale) has anti-viral activity against human respiratory syncytial virus in human respiratory tract cell lines." J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 Nov 1. pii: S0378-8741(12)00740-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2012.10.043. [Epub ahead of print]
13. Yan F, Polk DB. "Probiotics and immune health." Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2011 Sep 3. [Epub ahead of print]
14. Clarke JO, Mullin GE. "A review of complementary and alternative approaches to immunomodulation." Nutr Clin Pract. 2008 Feb;23(1):49-62
15. Baumann N, Turpin JC. "Neurochemistry of stress. An overview." Neurochem Res. 2010 Dec;35(12):1875-9. Epub 2010 Oct 27.
16. Hernandez-Reif. "Breast cancer patients have improved immune functions following massage therapy." Journal of Psychosomatic Research, (2003). 57, 45-52.