Cop Fired For Cutting Off Detained Woman's Weave Gets Job Back

Cop Fired For Cutting Off Detained Woman's Weave Gets Job Back

A Michigan police officer who was fired after cutting the artificial hair off a detained woman's head will be getting her job back, against the wishes of her department.

An arbitrator ruled that Warren Police Officer Bernadette Najor be reinstated to the suburban Detroit police force with full back pay, local newspaper The Macomb Daily reports. Attorney Peter Sudnick, who represented Najor and the Warren Police Officers Association union in arbitration, told the paper that Najor had not violated the terms of her employment contract and that “[s]he was completely exonerated” by the arbitrator.

Najor was fired last December after she cut the artificial hair woven onto the real hair of then-22-year-old Charda Gregory at the Warren jail. Gregory had been arrested Nov. 13, 2013, and when she got to booking, she was docile and cooperative, Warren Police Deputy Commissioner Louis Galasso earlier explained to The Huffington Post.

Security footage of the altercation between the two women shows Najor striking Gregory on the chest and pushing her into a seat (seen 2 minutes and 20 seconds into the video, above). Several officers work to get Gregory into restraints (6:20), and then Najor spends several minutes cutting out Gregory’s weave (7:20). The police video, which did not come with sound, was uploaded to YouTube and also obtained by news outlets and Gregory’s lawyer.

An officer wrote up the incident, but Najor did not file the additional paperwork required when police use force.

“I read the police report and was stunned at the very bottom line ... that stated that this person’s hair was cut off,” Galasso explained. He then reviewed the video.

Galasso said in Feburary the department believed Najor’s firing would send a strong message to personnel, and that they would likely amend policy to expressly prohibit hair-cutting.

According to The Macomb Daily, Najor testified during arbitration that she had been told she must remove anything not permanently attached to prisoners and that Gregory’s hair was “loosely tied in with loops."

Najor's lawyer and the police union did not respond to requests for additional comment. Warren police emailed a statement to HuffPost, saying the city “strongly disagrees with the arbitrator’s decision.”

“The actions taken by the Warren Police Department were appropriate and required,” the statement reads. “Despite that, this is a nation of laws, and even where we believe that an arbitrator's decision is plainly wrong, we will follow it. ... The City will continue to strive to make this excellent police department even better.”

Gregory was arrested at a motel where she was accused of trashing a room. Her attorney told HuffPost earlier this year that his client “flipped out” when she woke up in the motel room, surrounded by strangers and not knowing how she had gotten there. She believed she may have been drugged. Taken into custody for the misdemeanor offense of destruction of property, Gregory was eventually charged with a felony and pepper sprayed after she kicked through a window of the responding police car.

All charges against Gregory were later dropped, and the city pursued a settlement that awarded $75,000 to her and her attorney.

Before You Go

Michael Brown
Pool via Getty Images
On Aug. 9, the unarmed 18-year-old was shot dead by Ferguson, Missouri, Police Officer Darren Wilson. Wilson claimed he shot Brown as the teen ran at him after the two fought over his gun. But multiple witnesses, including the majority of those heard by a grand jury, said Brown did not run toward the officer. Many said Brown had his hands up when he was shot and killed. On Nov. 24, a grand jury voted not to indict Wilson, setting off protests across America.
Eric Garner
Associated Press
New York City police suspected Eric Garner of selling loose, untaxed cigarettes on July 17. In an attempt to place him under arrest, officer Daniel Pantaleo put Garner in what New York Police Department Commissioner Bill Bratton described as a chokehold, a move banned by the department. Garner can be seen in a video of the incident saying he can’t breathe as Pantaleo holds him. He is later pronounced dead at a hospital. A Staten Island grand jury voted on Dec. 2 not to indict Pantaleo, setting off another wave of national protests.
Tamir Rice
Associated Press
On Nov. 22, 12-year-old Tamir Rice was shot by police in Cleveland who were responding to reports of someone with a gun. The weapon he had in his hand was a pellet gun. Rice died a day later in the hospital. Video footage released by police showed that Timothy Loehmann, the officer who killed Rice, shot him within two seconds of exiting his car.
Akai Gurley
Associated Press
On Nov. 20, 28-year-old Akai Gurley exited his girlfriend's apartment in a Brooklyn, New York, public housing building. He started going down a dark stairwell that had a broken light. Rookie New York Police Department Officer Peter Liang, who had his gun drawn as he patrolled the stairwell, shot and killed Gurley. Police said the shooting was accidental. The New York Daily News reported that, instead of calling an ambulance, Liang texted his union representative after he shot Gurley. A grand jury will determine whether Liang faces charges.
John Crawford III
Associated Press
On Aug. 5, 22-year-old John Crawford III was shot and killed by police inside a Beavercreek, Ohio, Walmart. Crawford was carrying an air rifle that he had picked up inside the store. Cops were called to investigate a man waving what could be a firearm. Police said Crawford refused to put down the gun and turned toward them in a threatening way. But lawyers representing Crawford's family say the officers were reckless and negligent. A grand jury voted not to indict either of the officers involved in the killing.
Ezell Ford
On Aug. 11, Los Angeles police conducted "an investigative stop" and interrogated unarmed 25-year-old Ezell Ford. At some point, Ford was shot and killed. An LAPD statement on the killing said, "During the stop a struggle ensued, which resulted in an officer-involved-shooting." But witnesses told The Huffington Post that police shouted, "Shoot him," moments before three bullets hit Ford, who was on the ground. The case remains under investigation.
Samantha Ramsey
Samantha Ramsey was killed as she tried to drive away from a party on April 26 in Boone County, Kentucky. Boone County deputy Tyler Brockman said he shot Ramsey after she ran over his foot and forced him onto the hood of her car. He said he feared for his life and the lives of others when he opened fire. But witnesses said Brockman jumped onto the hood of her car and killed her unnecessarily. In November, a grand jury voted not to indict Brockman.
Darrien Hunt
Associated Press
Darrien Hunt was shot seven times by Saratoga Springs, Utah, police who were investigating reports of a man with a sword on Sept. 10 at a shopping center. Hunt's family said the sword was a replica. Police said Hunt refused to give up his sword and then started swinging it at them. An autopsy report determined that Hunt was shot seven times by officers, including several times in the back as he fled from police. The Hunt family's attorney, Bob Sykes, disputed assertions from cops that the 22-year-old acted aggressively. "I think it's a whitewash. I think it's an exaggeration," Sykes said. "I think they ignored good hard evidence to the contrary."
Rumain Brisbon
Associated Press
Phoenix Police Officer Mark Rine was investigating a tip that 34-year-old Rumain Brisbon was selling drugs inside an SUV on Dec. 2. Police said Brisbon didn't obey the officer's commands and instead fled inside an apartment complex where a struggle ensued. During the struggle, Rine mistook a pill bottle in Brisbon's pants for a gun and fatally shot him, according to police. Brisbon was unarmed, though police found a gun in his SUV. Prosecutors are investigating whether Rine should face charges.
Kajieme Powell
The Washington Post via Getty Images
Less than two weeks after Michael Brown was killed in Ferguson, Missouri, 25-year-old Kajieme Powell was shot and killed by police in nearby St. Louis. Police were called to a convenience store to investigate a man causing a disturbance and acting irrationally. They found Powell with a knife in his hand, and graphic video shows Powell approaching them yelling, "Shoot me." But the video also appears to undermine some of the initial assertions from police. Instead of holding the knife in an overhand grip, as police said, Powell had his hands at his sides.Powell also did not get as close to the cops as they originally claimed.

Popular in the Community