The closures and stay-at-home instructions are aimed at stopping the spread of the virus, especially to those most vulnerable, such as seniors, who make up 80% of all U.S. deaths.
But Patrick, who turns 70 next month, indicated he’s willing to put his own survival on the line in exchange for “keeping the America that all America loves” for future generations.
“My message is that let’s get back to work, let’s get back to living, let’s be smart about it, and those of us who are 70-plus, we’ll take care of ourselves. But don’t sacrifice the country,” he said.
Twitter users were aghast at the notion of grandparents being sacrificed to the virus in the name of the economy:
- Read our live blog for the latest updates from HuffPost reporters around the world
- The world is facing a crucial test this week in flattening the curve
- 8 things people diagnosed with coronavirus want you to know
- How to grocery shop for a quarantine
- Doctors answer the most common coronavirus questions
- Health care workers are struggling with a shortage of protective gear
- 27 comfort shows to watch while self-isolating
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- 10 ways to practice solidarity while social distancing
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.