We've been thinking a lot lately about the chefs, musicians, comedians, actors and others whose careers frequently take them out on the road, into more airplanes, restaurants and hotel bars than they can count. When they finally settle back in at home, what do they want to cook for themselves? We asked, and they just started telling us! Find out their answers in our series, Homecoming Meals.
David Burke is one of those chefs who's known just as much for his food as his personality. Let's just say, he's been known to light up a room or two. Burke made his name at restaurants like David Burke Townhouse, Fishtail by David Burke and David Burke Prime, by making serious food fun. He's known for his whimsy, his inventiveness and his seemingly limitless ability to surprise diners ("Angry Lobster on a Bed Of Nails," anyone?). So, let's just say, we weren't really expecting his Homecoming Meal to be a simple salad with a fried egg on top. Another surprise!
Burke has made headlines recently with the opening of Burke's Bacon Bar, which is very nearly an all-bacon restaurant. He's also currently appearing on season 5 of Bravo's "Top Chef Masters." Check out what Chef Burke whips up for himself, after he finally returns home from the road.
When I get home, I like to make myself a Market Salad with a fried egg on top. This is my type of comfort food and is a quick and easy dish. After traveling I like to eat something that is simple but always tastes great.
- Heat a non-stick skillet (or a regular skillet greased with a small amount of butter, margarine, or cooking oil) at medium heat until just hot enough to sizzle a drop of water.
- Break egg and gently slip into the skillet.
- Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cook slowly until white is completely set and yolk begins to thicken but is not hard (You can use a frying pan with a lid and cover the egg. The lid traps heat and steam so that the egg cooks from above as well. The egg should take about 5 minutes to cook depending on how well done you like it.).
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.