David Henneberry, Boston Boat Owner Who Spotted Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Says He's An 'Incidental Hero' (VIDEO)

He rebuffed the term “hero” in his first post-manhunt interview, but David Henneberry’s quick thinking warrants the accolade.

Henneberry told WCVB on Wednesday the harrowing details of how he discovered Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect, hiding in his backyard. After the lockdown was lifted on Friday, the Watertown, Mass., resident decided to check on his boat, which appeared to be missing the pads he had put in place to avoid chafing.

It was only after Henneberry grabbed a ladder and climbed up three steps that he noticed the blood on the floor of the boat, which he initially thought was his own. Once Henneberry peered a little closer, he saw the body of the 19-year-old suspect and immediately called the police.

While Henneberry played a critical role in catching the surviving bombing suspect after a five-day manhunt, he told WCVB that he just considers himself an “incidental hero.” But some would disagree.

Two groups have already sprung up to raise money to replace Henneberry’s beloved boat, which was damaged in the gunfight.

As of press time, the “Let’s Fix David Henneberry’s Boat,” campaign raised more than $13,000 and the “Together We Can Help Buy Dave Henneberry A New Boat,” garnered 786 likes on Facebook.

Though Henneberry considers the boat his “baby,” according to ABC, he’d prefer to see the generous donations help victims who were seriously injured in the blasts at the marathon.

“To buy me a new boat is a wonderful thing, I don't want that really,” he told WCVB. “I would wish that they donate it to the One Fund Boston. They lost limbs. I lost a boat."

Henneberry and his wife are currently staying elsewhere while police inspect the property. The two were originally escorted to a neighbor’s home and over the course of two hours, the police and Tsarnaev remained locked in position and authorities threw flash-bang grenades, which were meant to disorient the suspect, according to TODAY.

Tsarnaev, who was reportedly shot in the throat before his arrest, was taken to the hospital where he was charged with use of a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death, according to Reuters.

This post has been updated with new information, unavailable at the time this article was published, as to the fact that Tsarnaev was unarmed when he was taken into custody by police.



Donors Help Man Who Spotted Boston Bombing Suspect Buy New Boat