After spending most of the year rallying for gun control around the country, mass shooting survivor David Hogg announced plans to attend a prestigious university in the fall.
Hogg tweeted Saturday that he was going to Harvard University and planned to major in political science next year. The 18-year-old activist previously said he would be taking a gap year off from school to focus on a political movement against gun violence, months after he survived a horrific mass shooting that left 17 dead at a high school in Parkland, Florida, in February.
Harvard did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
News of Hogg’s university plans follows comes several months after Fox News host Laura Ingraham ridiculed the teenager for being rejected by a few universities he applied to.
In response, Hogg tweeted a list of companies that advertise on Ingraham’s show, “The Ingraham Angle,” and called on people to pressure the businesses to pull their ads. More than a dozen companies ― including pet food brand Nutrish, Hulu and Johnson & Johnson ― said they were dropping their ads from her show.
Ingraham later apologized to Hogg and praised his GPA. Hogg, who had turned down an offer to attend the University of California, Irvine, was skeptical of apology.
“She only apologized after we went after her advertisers,” Hogg told The New York Times at the time. “It kind of speaks for itself.”
Amid the chaos of the shooting, Hogg, a 17-year-old senior at the time, used his camera phone to report on the event and interview other students ― all while hiding from the gunman in a crowded classroom.
He emerged from the shooting as a prominent activist, helping spearhead the March for Our Lives protests while focusing on gun control and, later, getting young people to vote.
Hogg has since appeared on national news channels and spoken at rallies across the country. In March, he and his fellow student activists were featured on the cover of Time magazine for re-energizing a political movement against gun violence.