What happened to a construction worker on a portable toilet in Sydney, Australia, will make your skin crawl. God knows what it made his skin do.
The 21-year-old man was bitten on the penis Wednesday by a poisonous redback spider at a job site, the BBC reports.
According to a story in the Adelaide Advertiser, paramedics rushed to the scene but the victim got to the hospital on his own.
“He somehow managed to get alternative transport to hospital,” an ambulance spokesman says.
The victim was treated and later discharged, the BBC writes.
Like its close relative, the black widow, the female redback has red markings and is toxic. It often lives in urban areas and results in 250 cases a year in Australia that require antivenom, the Australian Museum notes. "They can cause serious illness and have caused deaths," the museum says.
A 22-year-old man is believed to have died from complications of a redback bite earlier this month, Newsweek reported. Before that, no one was thought to have succumbed to a redback bite since antivenom was introduced in 1956, the outlet said.