With fall quickly approaching, the time has come to begin gathering sheets, clothing hangers, shower caddies and the million other things you'll need for dorm life. But once you've got the necessities, it's time to get creative. That's where the Internet comes in.
There are tons of helpful lists online that tell you everything you're going to need, but they don't always offer the coolest options. We've gathered some our favorite items from college-friendly websites, separated by category. And if you're still stumped on decorating your dorm room, check out the Pinterest posts at the bottom--those are sure to inspire.
Insider Tip: As long as you have Twin XL sheets, your comforter can be twin sized. Your pillow will take up the top of your bed, so you'll never notice if the blanket doesn't go all the way up.
1. American Flag Twin XL Bed Set, $169 from Urban Outfitters.
2. Plum and Bow Rolling Hills Comforter, $179 from Urban Outfitters.
3. See You 'Round Duvet Cover/Sham Set, $39.99 from Dormify.
4. Rosette Quilt, $198 from Anthropologie.
5. Pinwheel of Fortune Duvet Dover/Sham Set, $39.99 from Dormify.
These pillows don't exactly fill a purpose, but they will add a pop of personality to your room.
1. Bicycle Pillow, $36 from Dormify.
2. American Star Pillow, $49 from Dormify.
3.Hip-Hop Pillow$59 from Urban Outfitters.
4. Plus One Pillow In Pug, $44.99 from Mod Cloth.
5. Loving Room Pillow, $29.99 from Mod Cloth.
Most colleges will specify how big your rug should be on their website, but if they don't, generally 4x6 or 5x7 is a safe bet.
1. Specs Jute Mat in 4x6, $99 from West Elm.
2. Virring Rug $9.99 from Ikea.
3. The Collegiate, $78 from Leigh Deux Dorm.
Sometimes its nice to have a soft light to turn on when you're just not feeling the harsh fluorescent overhead light of your dorm.
1. Mix and Fla-mingle String Lights, $19.99 from Mod Cloth.
2. Gummy Bear Night Light, $29.99 from Land of Nod.
There's no bigger struggle your first year of college than staying organized. Fortunately, these items have you covered:
1. Donut Spiral Notebook, $9.95 from Paper Source.
2. Gold Colorblock Pouch, $12.95 from Paper Source.
3. Lexon Desk Tools, $20 from See Jane Work.
4. See Jane Work Basic Letter Trays, $12 from See Jane Work.
5. Large Tint Stacking Drawer $14.99 ea from The Container Store.
6. Chrome Laundry Bag Stand, $19.99 from The Container Store.
You may not have room for a full couch in your room, but you'll definitely have some space for a small pouf:
1. Leigh Deux Pouf, $79 from Leigh Deux Dorm.
Your posters should be something you're happy to look at everyday, so pick carefully based on image and color scheme.
1. "Little Spooners" Poster, $49.99 from Art.com
2. Let's All Go And Have Breakfast Poster, $16 from Society6.
3. Because I Love Poster, $20 from Fab.com.
Just in case you want a little variety on your walls:
1. In Surreal Time Clock, $19.99 from Mod Cloth.
2. Locust Ocean Current Tapestry, $44 from Urban Outfitters.
3. Arrow Wall Decal - Set of 4, $29 from Urban Outfitters.
4. We Are Young Flag, $34 from Urban Outfitters.
Pinterest Dorm Room Inspiration
What better place to look than Pinterest for a the finished dorm room of your dreams?