Demi Lovato turns 23 today, and over the years she's proven to be an inspiring body-positive role model for her many fans.
The "Cool for the Summer" singer has used her (powerful) voice to share her experiences with body image issues and has bravely opened up about having an eating disorder. She regularly promotes body love in interviews and on social media, and in honor of her birthday, we've gathered some of her most inspiring moments. From teaching her Lovatics to embrace their curves to shutting down society's beauty standards, here are 10 times Lovato was the queen of body positivity.
1. When she kicked off 2015 with an inspiring post about "loving and taking care" of her body.
2. When she told her fans to shake off their insecurities with an inspiring tweet.
3. When she proved thigh gaps aren't a requirement for being beautiful.
4. When she gave advice for women dealing with body image issues in Fitness Magazine.
We all have problem areas. I'm always going to have thick thighs. I can't change that, and obsessing over it will only make me miserable. Learning to be grateful for our bodies and taking care of them are the best ways for us to empower ourselves physically, mentally, and spiritually.
5. When she inspired her 21.1 million Instagram followers with a #NoMakeupMonday post (which she now does regularly!).
6. When she told Glam Belleza Latina how she learned to embrace her curves...
I tried to conform to what everyone thinks is beautiful. But my genetics gave me a curvy figure, and I’ve come to understand that in the Latina culture, that is beautiful. I no longer look at my body and think, Oh my gosh, I have such a fat butt. Or, I hate my thighs. On some days I don’t love them. But, you know, that’s one of the things that makes me me.
7. And told others to do the same.
8. When she requested more diversity on TV and reminded everyone that all shapes and sizes are beautiful.
9. When she opened up about once feeling "ashamed" of her body and discussed how far she had come.
10. And finally, when she (flawlessly) shut down the haters.
Happy birthday, Demi! Keep spreading that body confidence.
Also on HuffPost: