According to the National Institutes of Health, 68 percent of Americans are either overweight or obese. The other 32 percent have been contestants on America's Next Top Model.
Thanks to America's weight obsession, more than 110 million of us are trying to diet right now. The rest, of us, of course, are lying about trying to diet. It's an industry that generates more than $40 billion a year.
All that obsession. All those people. All that money. Only there's a dirty secret Oprah, Jenny Craig, and Weight Watchers don't want you to know:
Diets. Don't. Work.
Think about it. If diets did work, there wouldn't be more than 800 of them. Really. 800. I looked it up. And not just in Wikipedia.
OK, sure. Any diet you stick to for a few weeks will result in weight loss. But, you can't live more than a few weeks starving yourself. At least not a happy fulfilled life. And 97 percent of people will put back on all the weight they lost... plus more, in less than three years.
It's only been about 75 years or so that food has been abundant in most of the world. HOWEVER -- for millions of years previous, food has been scarce. So, thanks to evolution and time, our brains have been hard wired to treat every meal like a trip to a Las Vegas hotel buffet.
We don't consciously realize that "All You Can Eat" is a marketing gimmick... not a command from up on high.
For the vast preponderance of human history, people had little to no idea when they'd next get food -- so, a million years ago, when hunters came home with a fresh kill, the tribe ate like there was no tomorrow. Because... that was a real possibility.
You can get more facts for why diets don't work... PLUS, a 100 percent effective program for losing weight, by watching the video below.
Jon Hotchkiss is a 14 time Emmy nominee and the host of Be Less Stupid. Like the show on Facebook to get new episodes 2-3 times per week. Only rarely does he dress like Wonder Woman