Rapper DMX had a health scare Monday after he reportedly took a powdery substance, collapsed and stopped breathing. He was recovering Tuesday in the hospital and reportedly was in stable condition.
First responders in Yonkers, New York -- who confirmed only that they treated a 45-year-old man in a Ramada parking lot -- arrived to find the rapper without a pulse. A witness had called 911 reporting that DMX took drugs and went unconscious shortly after, according to the New York Daily News.
They immediately performed CPR on his "lifeless" body and were able to get his pulse back, Yonkers Police Lt. Patrick McCormack told the Daily News.
Publicists for DMX, also known as Earl Simmons, maintain that he was hospitalized after an asthma attack. Police haven't fully confirmed that the man they treated in a Ramada parking lot was DMX, citing privacy laws.
But officers did suggest that first responders gave DMX Narcan, a substance used as an antidote during drug overdoses, before they took him to a hospital, according to the Daily News.
On Tuesday, DMX denied taking any drugs, and his camp still points to asthma attack as the cause of his hospitalization, TMZ reports.
DMX has had close calls before. In 2012, he lost control of a four-wheeler and ended up in the hospital with a concussion. He's had a long history of drug addiction, and says he was introduced to drugs at 8 years old.