Over the weekend, in what Lemon called “a new low from a president who goes low all the time,” Trump retweeted a conspiracy theory about Obama. Lemon said it was a “shameless attempt” to distract Americans from the administration’s continued failures in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.
“In a time when we need leadership, when we need compassion, this is the crap that you’re peddling? Conspiracy theories?” Lemon asked.
Then, Lemon ― himself a target of some recent Trump rants ― returned to the topic of Obama with a message aimed directly at Trump:
What is it about President Obama that really gets under your skin? Is it because he’s smarter than you? Better-educated? Made it on his own, didn’t need daddy’s help? Wife is more accomplished? Better looking? I don’t know, what is it, what is it about him? That he’s a Black man that’s accomplished being president? That he punked you on the whole birth certificate thing? What is it about him? Just wondering.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- Will there be a second stimulus check?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Why it takes so long to make a coronavirus vaccine
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.