The president was widely mocked and slammed for his sit-down with Chris Wallace that aired Sunday. It featured Trump bragging about acing a cognitive test, continuing to downplay the coronavirus pandemic, refusing to say if he’d accept the 2020 election result and getting fact-checked to his face for false claims about presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
Trump had an alternate spin.
“Thank you for the good reviews and comments on my interview with Chris Wallace of @FoxNews,” the president tweeted. He noted the interview was “a record” in the heat, but didn’t say what the weather had to do with his behavior.
Tweeters were perplexed by Trump’s post.
Some accused the president of gaslighting. Others wondered if he was writing about the same interview they had watched:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.