Donald Trump 'Sad To See' Confederate Monuments Being Taken Down

"Who's next, Washington, Jefferson?"
LOADINGERROR LOADING

President Donald Trump said he’s “sad to see” Confederate statues and monuments being taken down around the United States.

Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. You.....

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 17, 2017

...can't change history, but you can learn from it. Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson - who's next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish! Also...

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 17, 2017

...the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 17, 2017

Confederate memorials are being removed around the U.S. after a white supremacist protest to protect a statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville, Virginia, turned into a weekend of racist violence in which one woman was killed.

According to USA Today, there are more than 700 Confederate monuments installed in public areas across 31 states. Washington, D.C.; Lexington, Kentucky; Memphis, Tennessee; Birmingham, Alabama; and other places are taking steps to remove their monuments.

Baltimore quietly removed its remaining Confederate monuments Tuesday night in the wake of the Charlottesville incident. On Monday night, protesters tore down a Confederate monument in Durham, North Carolina.

Trump previously expressed worry about the removal of these statues during an unhinged press conference on Tuesday.

Democracy In The Balance

Don't let this be the end of the free press. The free press is under attack — and America's future hangs in the balance. As other newsrooms bow to political pressure, HuffPost is not backing down.

Would you help us keep our news free for all? We can't do it without you.

You've supported HuffPost before, and we'll be honest — we could use your help again. We view our mission to provide free, fair news as critically important in this crucial moment, and we can't do it without you.

Whether you give once or many more times, we appreciate your contribution to keeping our journalism free for all.

You've supported HuffPost before, and we'll be honest — we could use your help again. We view our mission to provide free, fair news as critically important in this crucial moment, and we can't do it without you.

Whether you give just one more time or sign up again to contribute regularly, we appreciate you playing a part in keeping our journalism free for all.

Support HuffPost

“You really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop?” Trump asked.

His tweets on the issue came after White House chief strategist Steve Bannon told The New York Times he thought Trump could win a battle with “the left” over the statues, arguing Trump’s rhetoric “connects with the American people about their history, culture and traditions.”

“The race-identity politics of the left wants to say it’s all racist,” Bannon said. “Just give me more. Tear down more statues. Say the revolution is coming. I can’t get enough of it.”

Close

What's Hot