At Donald Trump Jr.’s event in Panama City Beach, Florida, supporters filled a small Holiday Inn meeting room, mostly without social distancing and masks, video posted by The Recount shows. Florida GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis also appeared.
Later in the day, Trump Jr. moved outside to stump in Tampa at a towing company parking lot in an event that nevertheless flouted Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.
“The coronavirus didn’t seem to exist at the event,” the Tampa Bay Times wrote, adding: “The scene was reminiscent of the White House Rose Garden ceremony late last month that’s now directly linked to a dozen positive coronavirus cases. Rows of chairs, side by side. People hugging and taking maskless selfies. Conversations, leaned in and yelled over speakers blaring R.E.M. and Michael Jackson.”
Brittany Stoll, a Sarasota nurse who has worked with coronavirus patients and did bring a mask, was undeterred.
“COVID doesn’t come knocking at your door,” Stoll told the Tampa Bay Times. “So if you feel uncomfortable with it, just stay home.”
Meanwhile, Eric Trump got up close and personal while campaigning for his father in Monroe, North Carolina.
- Get the latest coronavirus updates here.
- What will life be like once a coronavirus vaccine arrives?
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- Constantly arguing with your partner about coronavirus risks? You are not alone.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.