CNN’s Erin Burnett asked Schaffner, a professor at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, Tennessee, to comment on video footage showing Trump and some of his supporters without masks and ignoring social distancing measures during his address at the Double Eagle Energy oil rig in Midland, Texas.
“The three Ds,” Schaffner answered ― depressing, distressing and dumb.
“That’s just inappropriate,” Schaffner continued. “It shows exactly the opposite of what all those people ought to be modeling across the country. We should be wearing our masks, all of the time.”
“Why are they there in that large group?” he asked. “They shouldn’t be gathering in groups.”
″It doesn’t make sense. A lot of those people are pretty bright people. I just don’t understand it. It is nonsensical,” she said.
More than 150,000 people in the United States have now died from the coronavirus.
Check out the exchange here:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes on its website that “cloth face coverings are a critical tool in the fight against COVID-19 that could reduce the spread of the disease, particularly when used universally within communities.”
After months of refusing to wear a mask in public, Trump earlier this month said he was “all for” them. He even claimed it was “patriotic” to do so, but was then hours later pictured without one at a fundraiser.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.