He’s not even president yet, and Donald’s already appointing people who have spent their entire careers working to undermine the rights of LGBT people. It’s truly terrifying. Just try to find one person in his administration who has said that queer Americans deserve equal rights — not a single one seems to hold that view, and in fact, they all seem to feel that gays and lesbians are worthy of punishment.
There will be thousands of people entering the new administration; here are the ten worst so far, and just a handful of the awful things they’ve done:
- Jeff Sessions as Attorney General: tried to ban marriage with a constitutional amendment
- Tom Price as Secretary of Health and Human Services: went on Facebook to make fun of trans people
- Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education: family has given millions to promoters of ex-gay abuse
- Michael Flynn as National Security Advisor: mocked trans servicemembers
- Elaine Chao as Secretary of Transportation: wrote for Heritage Foundation, which said that marriage equality causes abortions
- Nikki Haley as Ambassador to the UN: as Governor, fought to block marriage equality from South Carolina
- Tom Leppert, on the transition team for Social Security: says that “marriage should be defined as one man and one woman”
- Ken Blackwell, oversees domestic policy for the transition team: said that gay marriage caused a mass shooting
- David Clarke, under consideration to run the Department of Homeland Security: said that marriage equality could lead to a second Civil War
- Bill Pryor, on Donald’s short list for the Supreme Court: said that states should be allowed to arrest gay people for having sex, and straight people for having sex outside of marriage
And this is only a small sampling of what they’ve done — I haven’t even included all of their terrible quotes and legal arguments and connections, because the list goes on and on and on.
These are the people who’ll be in charge of your legal rights, the services you access, and your health and safety. Feeling nervous yet?
Fortunately, there’s something you can do to stop them from imposing an anti-equality agenda: call 1-844-USA-0234. That will connect you to each of your members of Congress, and you can tell them to oppose the appointments.
It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s a lot more effective than waiting to see what happens.