Starting a business is scary, but if it's in your blood, don't put it off.
If you've ever seriously considered starting your own business, you likely felt that signature blend of fear and excitement. For some, the fear outweighs the excitement and they return to their ordinary day jobs, never to start their own enterprise. For others, like me, the excitement outweighs the fear, and we can't help but start something.
For those in the middle, starting a business remains an attractive idea, but not a practical one--at least not for "right now." These people tend to idealize entrepreneurship, yet procrastinate pursuing it indefinitely.
If you find yourself wanting to start a business, but perpetually trapped in that loop of procrastination, consider these five reasons to start a business now.
1. There's never a perfect time. It may seem like now is a volatile time to start a business--maybe you're strapped with limited cash or you're in the middle of a promising white collar career. But there's never a "perfect" time to start a business. The conditions will never be just right. You'll always have an excuse not to do it (if you're looking for one).
2. You'll never stop wanting it. If you think about entrepreneurship more than once, chances are it's in your personality to strive for entrepreneurship. Putting it off won't make that desire go away, and you'll never be satisfied until you go for it.
3. The sooner you start, the sooner you reap the rewards. Whether you're in it for the promise of wealth, the flexibility in scheduling, or some other reason, starting sooner means earning the benefits sooner.
4. You could run out of time. You're never "too old" to become an entrepreneur, but if you put off entrepreneurship too long, you may find yourself in an even less flexible position, or in a world where technology and social mores are too unfamiliar to you.
5. Failure isn't permanent. The fear of failure holds many prospective entrepreneurs back. But remember, no failure is permanent. Even if your business idea doesn't work, you'll always have another chance to succeed somewhere else.
There's no time like the present. If you feel the call for entrepreneurship, then start working on your business sooner rather than later. Even if you fail, you'll learn and gain experience, so don't let your fears intimidate you.
Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.
This blogger graduated from Goldman Sachs' 10,000 Small Businesses program. Goldman Sachs is a partner of the What Is Working: Small Businesses section.