What are the most effective changes you made in your life to increase productivity and efficiency? originally appeared on Quora - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights.
- I moved my personal residence to be two blocks away from my office. There are definitely pros and cons, but on net it's been awesome having a highly predictable five-minute commute.
- I invented for myself an email triage and inbox zero system based off of colored stars in Gmail (see my other response with details).
- I've started aggressively creating email filters to block repeat offenders. I'll block entire spammy domains. This has cut down tremendously on the amount of spam I receive.
- I turn off all mobile and desktop notifications so I can concentrate on work and check email / feeds / updates on my terms. I figure if it's urgent, someone will call or text me.
- I've gotten really good at saying no.
- For people I really care about like my friends and family, I've scheduled recurring dates to reduce cognitive load and coordination cost of having to remember to reach out and schedule every X weeks.
- I don't watch TV or movies, or play video games.
- The most important thing I've done at work has been to surround myself with amazing people who I trust and empower fully to do stuff better than I could.
This question originally appeared on Quora. - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. More questions:
- Startup Founders: What are the most important lessons you learned in your journey as a startup founder?
- Social Media: What is the future of social media in the post-Facebook world?
- Returns On Investment: How can businesses get better about recognizing the best ways to increase their ROI on social media?
REAL LIFE. REAL NEWS. REAL VOICES.
Help us tell more of the stories that matter from voices that too often remain unheard.