New to the Elf on the Shelf tradition, but too embarrassed to ask how this thing works? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here are 7 rules for Santa’s devilish little helper. But, really, you can do whatever you want.
1. He or she needs a name. And usually these are very silly (think Twinkle Toes).
2. He or she arrives whenever the heck you want. Some parents start after American Thanksgiving. Others start when their tree goes up. And others start on December 1.
3. He or she moves every night while the kids are sleeping. (Set an alarm on your phone, because you will forget.)
4. He or she watches over the kids all day. And reports back to Santa on their behaviour at night.
5. The kids can't touch their Elf. Otherwise he or she will "disappear."
6. The Elf doesn't move or speak while the kids are awake.
7. He or she leaves before Christmas.
Also on HuffPost