On May 16, Tesla and SpaceX entrepreneur Elon Musk gave the Marshall Undergraduate Commencement Speech at the University of Southern California. He distilled his message about how to succeed after graduation into these five points:
1. Work super hard. Every waking hour.
2. Attract great people around you. A company is only a group of people gathered together to create a product or service.
3. Focus on "signal over noise" -- keep to your central task.
4. Don't follow the trend. Does what you are doing really make sense? Or is it just what everyone else is doing? Don't reason by analogy; find fundamental truths and work backward from there.
5. Now, when you are young, is the time to take risks. Later on you have obligations to others besides yourself.
More from Elon Musk Innovations That Will Change Your Life: A Conversation With Elon Musk