But the salute struck some as a little bit off.
New York state has become the epicenter of the pandemic in the United States, with nearly 67,000 sick and more than 1,300 dead.
In honor of emergency workers, the Empire State Building broke out what it called a “heartbeat of America” display. The upper floors pulsed red, like a heartbeat, while the mast flashed like the lights atop an emergency vehicle:
People on social media seemed to like the heartbeat.
The emergency light effect? Not so much:
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- When will life return to normal? Europe has some answers.
- Digestive issues might be an early sign of coronavirus
- How to file for unemployment if you’ve been laid off
- Avoiding going to the store? Here’s how to order groceries online.
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- How often do we really need to wash our faces?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.