Empowerment through Self-Love
Recently I had lunch with a fellow mompreneur at a fabulous organic restaurant (of course:-)). It was the first time we had ever met, but we clicked instantly! We spent the next two hours just chatting about our spouses, kids, friends, and businesses. However, there was one thing that stood out most from our conversation - there is still so much self-doubt amongst women from all walks of life in general. We are two educated, accomplished women each with two healthy children and thriving businesses and yet we discussed having feelings that there was something more for us.
I’m the first to admit to being a Type-A personality. What’s interesting is that in my interactions with several women outside of this particular conversation, most are still seeking something.
What exactly are we seeking? Why are we seeking something? How do we think we will get it? I always joke that women’s rights, as great as they are, have resulted in more responsibilities than before. We have so many wonderful opportunities now and there is a female running for President of the Unites States. But with those opportunities more accountability results in a constant struggle between our born natural instinct and our personal desires for those of us who are mothers. For some time I viewed this as a burden. I wondered why it wasn’t as easy as just making one choice over the other and not having to deal with the guilt. What I’ve learned is that if you can shut out all the negative noise from the rest of the world and live your life for you, your happiness becomes clear. It all comes back to self-care. I have a laundry list of tips on self-care but here are the top 3 things to do daily:
1. 10 Minutes in the Morning
- Whether it is taking a shower, exercising, breathing, or reading, take the first 10 minutes each morning for yourself. I recommend drinking full glass of lemon water first thing to cleanse and detox a bit as well.
- “I love myself” “I am worthy to receive” “I forgive myself”
- Post mantras like these on a sticky note on your bathroom mirror, your car, in your wallet or wherever you need to be reminded to practice self-love. The mental movie you tell yourself is what plays out in your life so change it!
- This can be the most challenging of the three but try to do at least one thing that truly fulfills you and makes you happy to the core each day. Learn from your children. See how their mission in life is to seek joy and happiness every moment of every day. Take pleasure in the simple things, unplug, and just be in whatever makes you thrive!
I wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t admit that practicing daily self-love is not always an easy thing to do. However, with simple steps one at a time being empowered by your own self-love can be done. You have to start somewhere. What are you waiting for? YOU deserve it and there is no better time than the present time as it’s the only time we have.
With lots of love and gratitude,
Phyllis of Well Woman
Certified Holistic Health Coach and Founder