Exit Polls: Obama Continues To Erode Clinton Base


Sen. Barack Obama continued his strong showing in the Wisconsin primary on Tuesday among voter demographics considered to be Sen. Hillary Clinton's strength.

White voters supported the Illinois Democrat by a margin of 52 percent to 46 percent. And among white women - the crux of Clinton's base - he scored moderately well: 45 percent to 53 percent. Those voters who make less than $30,000 also supported Obama by a tally of 50 percent to 49 percent. Those making between $30,000 and $50,000 supported the Illinois Democrat by a larger margin of 53 percent to 47 percent.

Wisconsin, Obama's campaign noted prior to the election returns, represented fertile ground for the New York Senator. The state is, according to an AP article released on Tuesday evening, "brimming with whites and working class voters who usually support [Clinton]."

Obama also maintained control of the most reliable elements of his electoral base. Seventy-one percent of those voters between 18 and 29 years old supported the Senator, as did 61 percent of those between 30 and 44.

The percentage of black and Latino voters were not registered in the MSNBC exit polls as neither demographic constituted a substantial portion of the electorate. The state is, by some estimations, more than 90 percent white.

Finally, 62 percent of independents and 70 percent of Republicans who voted in the Democratic primary said they supported Obama's candidacy.

Some other interesting tid-bits from the MSNBC exit polls:

Sixty-three percent of Wisconsin Democratic primary voters said that "regardless" of how they voted, they believed that Sen. Obama would be the candidate "most likely to beat the Republican presidential nominee in November."

Eighty-two percent of the voters said they would be satisfied if Obama were to win the nomination regardless of whom they voted. Sixty-eight percent of those voters said they would be satisfied if Clinton won the nomination.

Fifty-three percent of the respondents said they believed Clinton attacked Obama unfairly. Thirty-three percent said Obama attacked unfairly.

Finally, 63 percent of those who participated in the exit poll thought Obama would be the best candidate to beat the Republican presidential nominee in November (presumably Sen. John McCain). The remaining 37 percent said Clinton was best suited for the challenge.

Before You Go

Popular in the Community