While there has been a fair share of sexism in Rio, it has been offset by serious girl power. From Katie Ledecky smashing world records to the super humans that are the Final Five ― these Olympic games have shown the power, perseverance and willpower of female athletes.
To honor these talented Olympians and all that they stand for, we’ve rounded up 18 of the most feminist moments to come out of the Summer Olympics. From tennis star Andy Murray reminding a reporter that women can and do dominate tennis, to a gymnastics floor routine set to a Beyoncé song, to some wonderful moments of sportsmanship, it’s been a pretty damn awesome few weeks.
Below are 18 feminist moments from the Rio Olympics that had us cheering.
For more Olympics coverage:
- Olympic Swimmer’s Candid Period Comment Is Wonderfully Relatable
- Allyson Felix Makes History After Medaling In Women’s 400-Meter Dash
- 50 Photos That Show The Raw Power Of This Year’s Olympic Women
- Haters, Leave Olympic Champion Gabby Douglas The F Alone
- The Body-Positive Message Behind This Shot Putter’s Olympic Gold Medal