It's pretty obvious that I have a crush on Lorde. After all, she's pretty magnificent, when you think about it and here's why.
1. Her song lyrics. She's said that she's "first and foremost a writer," which gives me all sorts of butterflies. One of the best parts about Lorde's music is that I can listen to it over and over again and discover a new thing each time.
I mean: "I'm kind of over gettin' told to throw my hands up in the air. So there. I'm kind of older than I was when I reveled without a care. So there," from "Team" means something different every time I hear the song. It's the same thing with lyrics from "Royals" or "Tennis Court." I'm sure that they meant something specific when they were written, but the lyrics have enough depth to emerge with a new significance every time I press play.
2. She sticks by her opinion. Lorde is a self-identifying feminist, and isn't afraid to state her opinions. Last October, she said that she didn't like Selena Gomez's song, "Come and Get It": "I'm a feminist and the theme of her song is, ''When you're ready, come and get it from me,'" she explained. "I'm sick of women being portrayed this way."
She later spoke of her comments with MTV News, by saying:
I have pretty strong morals and opinions being in pop music, and I can't help but express those, which I think people appreciate. I mean, I don't think I say anything that isn't backed up. Most of the time I will stand by things that I've said.
After she started getting media backlash, people started to expect an apology. I don't really think one was warranted. She was asked her opinion of a song, and gave it. The fact that she didn't back down, even as people were pressuring her, is definitely commendable.
3. She has two Grammys. This one pretty much goes without any explanation. At last year's Grammy Awards, Lorde received awards for Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year. I know that talent isn't defined by the amount of awards that someone has, but come on. Grammys are pretty considerable achievements. We have to face that she's good at what she does.
4. Her voice. I'm not even sure if I can describe this in words, but I'll definitely try. Lorde's voice is crisp, melodic and can cut through a room with the edge of a sharpened knife. At the same time, it's this breathy sound during the high notes. It's a rich noise that carries this heaviness with it, and hits you right in the gut.
5. She's a majestic being. She just has this way about her. If you've seen pictures of her performing, you'll probably feel this ripple effect: the force of her lyrics, her voice and her stage presence throw you out of your seat. And then there's her hair. And those robes that she wears. She looks like an indie princess.