Buckingham’s wife, Kristen, said that while the rock legend “and his heart are doing well,” it remains unclear whether or not the damage to his vocal cords is permanent, though she is “hopeful it is not.”
“Needless to say, all touring and shows currently scheduled have been put on pause for the moment as he gathers the strength to heal completely,” she wrote in an Instagram post Friday.
The 69-year-old, who helped propel Fleetwood Mac to international fame by writing and singing such notable hits as “Go Your Own Way” and “Tusk”, was kicked off the band’s world tour last year without any formal explanation.
In October, Buckingham announced he was suing his former bandmates for his dismissal, claiming that he should still be entitled to his share of tour revenues because he still wants to be in the group.
“This past year has been a very stressful and difficult year for our family to say the least,” Kristen Buckingham said. “But despite all this, our gratitude for life trumps all obstacles we have faced at this moment. We feel so fortunate he’s alive. As does he. He looks forward to recovery and putting this behind him.”