It wasn't a happy hour for the Florida State Seminoles.
In the aftermath of two football players being accused of assaulting women in bar-related incidents, Coach Jimbo Fisher told his players Saturday that going to bars is now forbidden, according to a reporter from the Tallahassee Democrat.
The reporter, Jim Henry, also tweeted that the coach indicated the university was bringing in "professionals" to counsel the team.
Star running back Dalvin Cook was suspended from the team Friday after he was charged with punching a woman outside of a bar. Cook's suspension followed the release of a video last week that appeared to show quarterback De'Andre Johnson striking a woman in the face in a bar. He was booted permanently from the squad last Monday. (Johnson's lawyer says the alleged victim provoked the player by using the n-word.)
In a public statement Friday, Fisher said, “We spend a good deal of time educating our student-athletes about appropriate behavior and their responsibilities as representatives of Florida State. The majority of our players are exemplary, but clearly we must place an even stronger emphasis on this, and I personally promise we will.”
One media outlet is less than impressed with the new prohibition: CBS Sports' Tim Fornelli wrote, "Just because both De'Andre Johnson and Dalvin Cook allegedly struck women in bars doesn't mean bars are the problem. Plenty of Florida State players, and people in general, have gone to bars without punching anybody."
The Huffington Post reached out to Florida State's athletics department for comment, but didn't receive a response by press time.