People often turn to personal trainers when they need a little help losing weight. Professionals create a workout program combined with a meal plan for every day. But do they practice what they preach?
Fitness instructors are trained and know what people should eat and drink when it comes to burning fat, building muscle, sleeping well, boosting energy and increasing strength. The good news is that the experts keep similar foods out of their kitchens and bodies, so the list is not miles long. Also none of them said they don't ever drink alcohol (whew!). But the bad news is that most items on the "black list" are delicious.
Bill Ross, NASM Certified Master Trainer, ACSM Certified Personal Trainer and founder of Bill Ross Fit, says he believes a proper diet needs to consist of a balance of real food, and not rely on supplements. "Real food means fresh vegetables, fruits and lean sources of protein," he adds. "Balance means not overeating of any one food group."
Other trainers' diet philosophy mainly has to do with portion control and moderation. Vicki Tri from Fit w/ Vic in Oklahoma City says you can't deny your body the nutrients it craves. "The more wholesome foods you feed it, the less it will need to be satisfied," she adds.
People should follow the 80/10/10 rule, according to David Crump, athletic coach, personal trainer, and founder of DC-Training in Orlando, FL. "80 percent of the foods someone eats should be energy-dense, non-processed or "whole" foods and the other 20 percent should accommodate a mix of less than optimal foods (10 percent) and the occasional treat (10 percent)."
The list of allowed foods is much specific when it comes to pre- and post-workouts, compared to the more generic one of what trainers never eat. "Most people tend to benefit from a small meal consisting of carbohydrates and protein," Crump says. Meat and other foods that the body takes more time to digest are not recommended, according to Steve Vicera, certified fitness and Pilates instructor, from Scottsdale, AZ. "You need blood in your muscles, not in your stomach [when you exercise]."
Personal trainers are a busy bunch. They work with about 10 people a day with not very long breaks between clients. It's easy to step outside the gym and grab a slice of pizza or some fast food. But they don't. Many prepare their snacks the night before and they never include the items on the following list.
- Hristina Byrnes, The Active Times
More Content from The Active Times:
Most Common Mistakes Personal Trainers See in the Gym
Trainers Share the Worst Fitness Advice They've Ever Heard
The Surprising Ways Lifting Weights Will Change Your Life
Nutritionists and Dietitians Dish on What They Would Never, Ever Eat
Don't Ever Do These 16 Things Before Working Out